Menu trends for 2023
We've gathered the latest menu trends for 2023 to help you create a menu that will attract more customers.
Keeping up with menu trends is essential for restaurants to stay competitive and meet customer demands. In 2023, the food industry is expected to see a rise in plant-based options, locally sourced ingredients, sustainable practices, global influences, and technology-based innovations. This article will cover these menu trends in detail, providing examples and tips for restaurants to implement them effectively.
1. Plant-based options
With the increasing popularity of plant-based diets, restaurants must offer a variety of meatless options to cater to this demographic. Offering plant-based options not only attracts a new customer base but also promotes healthy and sustainable eating habits. Here are some ideas:
- Burgers made with vegan patties
- Jackfruit tacos made with pulled jackfruit instead of meat
- Plant-based charcuterie boards featuring vegan cheeses, meats, and spreads
- Cauliflower wings made with a vegan batter and served with dipping sauce
- Mushroom risotto made with vegetable broth instead of chicken broth
2. Locally sourced ingredients
Sourcing ingredients locally has numerous benefits, including fresher produce, supporting local farmers and reducing the carbon footprint of transportation. To find local suppliers, restaurants can research farmers' markets and local co-ops. Here are some ideas:
- Salads made with locally grown greens, tomatoes, and cucumbers
- Locally raised meats such as grass-fed beef or free-range chicken
- Locally brewed craft beer made with locally sourced hops and grains
- Freshly baked bread made with locally milled flour
- Seasonal fruit pies made with locally grown fruit
3. Sustainable practices
Implementing sustainable practices in the food industry is crucial for reducing waste and conserving resources. These practices not only benefit the environment but also demonstrate a commitment to sustainability that resonates with eco-conscious consumers. Here are some ideas:
- Compostable packaging made from eco-friendly materials such as cornstarch or sugarcane
- Reducing food waste by using imperfect produce or donating excess food to local charities
- Sourcing sustainable seafood such as wild-caught salmon or responsibly farmed shrimp
- Using energy-efficient appliances and LED lighting to conserve energy
- Offering reusable cups or encouraging customers to bring their own to-go containers
4. Global influences
Restaurants can incorporate global flavours in many ways. They can draw inspiration from traditional techniques and ingredients, experiment with fusion cuisine, or focus on regional specialities. It's important to approach global cuisine with respect and curiosity, learning about cultural contexts. This leads to delicious and culturally informed menus, providing an authentic dining experience.
Technology is changing the way restaurants present menus, with innovations such as digital menu boards, online menus and checkouts. These technologies enhance the customer experience by providing a seamless ordering process and personalized recommendations. And that's why we created Cardapium, to enable restaurants to create and manage their menus online effortlessly, providing customers with an easy-to-access menu. With real-time updates, multilingual support and many other features, Cardapium is a valuable tool for restaurants, bars and cafés looking to optimize their menu offerings, increase sales, and improve customer satisfaction.
In conclusion, 2023 brings a diverse range of menu trends that restaurants can leverage to attract new customers and stay relevant in the food industry. We hope you can incorporate some of these ideas into your business, boost sales and improve customer satisfaction.